How I grade
All items are graded according to Overstreet Standards. Some of my customers say that my grading standards are stricter. If a book has restoration, date stamps, writing, missing coupons etc it will be noted in the description. ALL ITEMS NOTED IN THE DESCRIPTION ARE FACTORED IN THE GRADE. In addition, I submit a lot of books to CGC and try to keep up with their constantly morphing grading standards. I am very confident in my ability to grade raw books but will gladly steer you to CGC graded books if we constantly bang heads over grading. The reason for that is until CGC publishes their grading standards it is very difficult arguing with me over what they graded a book since I have nothing to reference. CGC is NOT grading to Overstreet standards or I would be able to walk around shows, buy books and get the same exact grade as the book I purchased. Solid reputable references are available upon request.
How do you buy books
In order to buy books you must be registered on-line. It’s fast and easy to register or log in now. Once you are registered you are now able to buy books from our online catalog, New Arrivals, Bob’s Best, special offers or Group Lots sections. You can navigate the online catalog by Timely, Atlas & Marvel, DC, Other Publishers or Magazines. Titles are broken out to allow quicker navigation. You can select minimum grades as well as CGC only by using the two pulldown menus. Each of the other sections have dropdown menu’s to narrow down your search criteria.
How is an order generated
Orders from my on-line catalog are automatically generated as soon as a full amount is bid or a bid/counter-offer from me is accepted. An email accepting a counter-offer is not a “completed” transaction. You must accept the counteroffer or the book is still considered for sale and susceptible to a higher bid winning the book. I will then verify that the book is in-stock (some things get stolen) and that the book is still in the grade advertised on my site (observe how some books get handled at a convention and you will know why I have to do this). Books that are no longer in the same grade as advertised or not in my inventory will result in a rejected bid from me. Another way to order is to email the books you are interested in to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the bid system overrides email. You may also call me at 631-543-1917 Monday – Friday. You may or may not catch me on the weekend. Orders can also be faxed to 631-864-1921.
Payment options – Updated 4/22/19
Continental US – Payments are generally expected within one (1) week of your order. Naturally if things comes up please follow up with an email or phone call. Cash, Money order, PayPal or credit card payments (AMEX/Discover/MasterCard/Visa) are always welcome and will be shipped out next business day.
Payment should be made out to Highgradecomics.com. Personal/business checks must clear. Checks drawn on NY banks two (2) business days, out of state five (5) business days. Books can be shipped earlier if we have done business before. You are responsible for any bounced check fees.
NY residents must pay 8.65% sales tax on the purchase unless a valid reseller number is provided.
International Payment options – Due to recent thefts and credit card fraud unless I have done business with you or you provide ironclad business references that can be verified I will only take a check drawn on a US bank, Postal money order payable in US funds, Paypal or wire transfer. Credit card payments – If you are a first time customer your order will be held until the issuing bank verifies a valid account regardless of the transaction being approved. I will not ship to any other address other then the billing address.
Time Payment Option
No interest time payments can be negotiated on large purchases. 20% down payment is required. Remaining balance can span 1/3/6/9/12 months. If you fail to complete this arrangement (failure to complete means you haven’t made a payment in 45 days after due date or made an alternate arrangement with me) you will lose the 20% down payment. However any additional amounts you paid will be refunded. I ask that you treat me like you would like to be treated if the situation was reversed. I understand emergencies so call or email. However, buying other books from another dealer and he wants his money first is not an “emergency”.
Trade as a Payment Option
Lastly, I am willing to do trades for any book listed. Trade values depend on the books being offered. Trade to me is taking on your time/cost of selling the book. I do not do retail for retail trades. If you are looking for retail prices on your books I might consider taking the books on consignment and applying the proceeds less commission towards your purchase. Check out my Buy list page for items of immediate interest.
If you have purchased a CGC graded key or high ticket item from me and I get a better copy feel free to “trade up”. I will give you the price of the book I sold you towards the purchase of the higher grade copy. Please do not assume that to use this option that you have to pay the full price on the higher graded copy.
I will also accept unrestored VG+ or better Superhero Golden age titles with good page quality. No brittle books please.
New Shipping Options as of 12/5/18
Please verify that your shipping address on file is up to date. Highgradecomics.com will use your address on file for shipping, not the Paypal address because we cannot be sure that is current or accurate. Thank you!
If you would like a specific shipping method, please read the below information carefully and indicate to me via email if there’s either a specific or different method you would like to receive your book(s).
Orders within the continental United States up to $1000 will be shipped United States Postal Service Priority Mail insured unless otherwise requested. Shipping and insurance costs for the continental United States are generally between $12.00 – $18.00 on 1-2 book orders. Overnight orders of 1 book generally run $35 – $50. On very large multi-book orders I will work with the buyer to split shipping costs.
Orders within the continental US over $1000 – $5000 options
- USPS Expressmail Overnight for 1 book using 2 pounds 8 ounces as estimate using package dimensions of 16x12x5. Restricted signature is an option but costs extra (Approx $6.15). If you do not choose a restricted signature and adult signature is obtained by the carrier you are responsible for lost/stolen item(s). Cost can be up to $120 for this type of coverage (Assuming $5K insurance coverage).
- USPS priority mail for 1 book using 2 pounds 8 ounces as estimate using package dimensions of 16x12x5. Restricted signature is an option but costs extra (Approx $6.15). If you do not choose a restricted signature and Adult signature is obtained by the carrier you are responsible for lost/stolen item(s). Cost can be up to $85 for this type of coverage (Assuming $5K insurance coverage).
- USPS Registered mail for 1 book using 2 pounds 8 ounces as estimate using package dimensions of 16x12x5. Restricted signature is an option but costs extra (Approx $6.15). If you do not choose a restricted signature and Adult signature is obtained by the carrier you are responsible for lost/stolen item(s). Cost can be up to $80 for this type of coverage (Assuming $5K insurance coverage).
- United Parcel Service (UPS) for one book assuming 3 pounds as estimate using package dimensions of 16x12x5. UPS does not have restricted signature, only Adult Signature. If an adult signature is obtained by the UPS driver and you do not receive the package you are responsible for lost/stolen items. Costs can be up to $165 for overnight (Assuming $5K coverage) to $106 for 2 day.
- FEDEX for one book assuming 3 pounds as estimate using package dimensions of 16x12x5. FEDEX does not have restricted signature, only Adult signature. If an adult signature is obtained by the FEDEX driver and you do not receive the package you are responsible for lost/stolen items. Costs can be up to $135-175 for overnight (Assuming $5K coverage) to $95-100 for 2 day.
Orders within the continental US over $5000 options
- USPS Registered mail for 1 book using 2 pounds 8 ounces as estimate using package dimensions of 16x12x5. Restricted signature is required (Approx $6.15). If you elect to not require restricted signature and an Adult signature is obtained by the carrier you are responsible for lost/stolen item(s). Cost varies depending on the amount of insurance coverage needed.
- United Parcel Service (UPS) and FEDEX for one book assuming 3 pounds as estimate using package dimensions of 16x12x5. UPS and FEDEX do not have restricted signature. If an adult signature is obtained by the UPS or FEDEX driver and you do not receive the package you are responsible for lost/stolen items. Cost varies depending on the amount of insurance coverage needed.
Continental US additional option – Real time GPS tracking. If you have any concerns about a book(s) getting to you the item can be sent with a GPS tracking device that provides real time location. Cost is an additional $50 plus shipping and the $50 will be credited back to you when the GPS device is mailed back to me. The Device will be in a prepaid shipping box addressed back to me.
Shipping to Business addresses on ANY shipment type
If your shipment address is a work address that has a mail room that can sign for your packages you are responsible for any lost/stolen items if the item is signed for by an adult at your place of work.
Lot shipping costs: Approximately 15-20 number of raw books surrounded by cardboard will fit in a USPS Flat Rate box weighing up to 4 lbs. If we include insurance costs the approximate estimate is about $18. Oversea lot costs depend on destination.
Because of theft there are new shipping options as of 4/19/19
Unless I have done business with you before I will no longer use USPS priority international for shipments over $500. All items over $500 will go either USPS registered mail, USPS expressmail or FEDEX, signature required.
For Items over $25K your only choice is FEDEX, signature required.
Applys to Canada only – Other option is pickup in Canada from one of my business partners at a Canadian show or office.
As of 12/5/18 full declaration of value must be made on all shipments going to Canada. Sorry but I can no longer under declare value.
All Dues and takes levied on shipments are the responsibility of the buyer. Highgradecomics.com shall not be liable for any loss caused by or resulting from seizuare or destruction under quarantine or customers regulation, or confiscation by order of any government or public authority.
Tracking numbers are sent when the order has been shipped. The tracking number is reflected in a email that has a subject heading of Your HGC invoice (#xxxxx) — Paid.
You have seven (7) days from receipt of the book(s) to return them if you are not satisfied so long as the book(s) is returned in the same condition as it was sent. All CGC sales are final UNLESS I did not disclose that there were date stamps or writing on the book. If you disagree with how CGC graded the book that doesn’t qualify you to send it back.
After several months of CGC’s new, redesigned holder and label for comic books and magazines debuting on the market, it has come to highgradecomics.com‘s attention that problems with the books inside the new holder (new holders started 4/4/16) are starting to develop including waves and other problems with its encapsulation which may lead to damage of the comic book. These problems generally become visible within 60 days or so of encapsulation.
It is our company policy to stand behind any book, whether professionally graded by a third party or not, such that if damage occurs to the book while inside the holder, highgradecomics.com will assist the customer in the following manner:
- If you’d like to keep the book, but are uncomfortable with the book being in the holder, highgradecomics.com will assist in removing the book from the holder and placing it in a mylar. The label would be provided with the book.
- If you would like to keep the book, but would like the book placed in a more current CGC holder, highgradecomics.com will assist in facilitating the book being reholdered. Per CGC, “the issues and concerns created with the earlier versions of the new holder have been resolved”.
- If you would like to keep the book, but feel it needs to be re-pressed and re-holdered, highgradecomics.com will also assist in facilitating that as well.
- If you are uncomfortable with the above options the book may be returned for a full company credit. Evidence should be clearly visible that a problem has developed to the book inside the holder.
It is important that our customers trust and feel comfortable knowing that no customer is just “stuck” with a book that develops issues as a result of some damage that later develops from the CGC holder, unseen by the customer at the time.
If any customer has any further questions about this policy, please let me know and I will be happy to address them.
Highgradecomics.com has ALWAYS had a NO time limit guarantee that your money would be refunded in the event a book comes back restored. We will now take the further step of extending this to CGC graded books as well. Any book, sold in an unrestored CGC holder by Highgradecomics.com that is later determined by CGC to actually contain restoration not discovered in the previous certification, will be fully refundable. This policy will be retroactive to any CGC books sold by Highgradecomics.com in the past. No if and or buts.
Restoration Grading Scan on CGC Books
Quality (Aesthetic) Scale – (Determined by materials used and visual quality of work)
- Material used: rice paper, wheat paste, acrylic or water color, leafcasting
- Color match near perfect, no bleed through
- Piece fill seamless and correct thickness
- No fading, excessive whiteness, ripples, cockling, or ink smudges from cover or interior cleaning
- Book feels natural
- Near perfect staple alignment, or replaced exactly as they were
- Filled edges cut to look natural and even
- Cleaned staples or staples replaced with vintage staples
- Married cover/pages match in size and page quality. Professionally attached
- Material used: pencil, crayon, chalk, re-glossing agent, piece fill from cadavers
- Piece fill obvious upon close inspection, obvious to the touch
- Color touch obvious upon close inspection, or done with materials listed above
- Cover cleaning resulting in slight color fading or excessively white
- Interior cleaning resulting in slight puffiness, cockling, excessively white
- Enlarged staple holes, obviously crooked staples, or backwards staple insertion
- Replaced staples not vintage
- Married cover/pages do not match in size and/or page quality. Professionally attached
- Material used: glue, pen, marker, white out, white paper to fill missing pieces
- Piece fill obvious at arm’s length
- Bad color matching, use of pen or marker. Bleed through evident
- Cover cleaning resulting in washed out/speckled colors, moderate cockling and/or ripples
- New staple holes created upon reinsertion, or non-comic book staples used
- Married cover/pages poorly attached with non-professional materials
Quantity Scale – (Determined primarily by extent of piece fill and color touch)
- All conservation work, re-glossing, interior lightening, piece fill no more than size of two bindery chips, light color touch in small areas like spine stress, corner crease or bindery chip fill. Married cover or interior pages/wraps (if other work is present)
- Piece fill up to the ½” x ½” and/or color touch covering up to 1” x 1”. Interior piece fill up to 1” x 1”
- Piece fill up to the size of 1” x 1” and/or color touch covering up to 2” x 2”. Interior piece fill up to 2” x 2”
- Piece fill up to the size of 2” x 2” and/or color touch covering up to 4” x 4”. Interior piece fill up to 4” x 4”
- Any piece fill over 2” x 2” and/or color touch over 4” x 4”. Recreated interior pages or cover
Conservation repairs are performed with the intent of preserving the structural or chemical integrity of a comic book using professional techniques and materials. It excludes aesthetic repairs such as color touch and piece fill. All conserved grades must satisfy the CGC quality scale of “A” and quantity scale of “1”.
- Tear seals
- Spine split seals
- Piece reattachment
- Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)
- Staples cleaned or replaced
- Some leaf casting
Materials Used for Conservation Repairs:
- Rice paper
- Wheat glue
- Vintage staples
- Archival tape
Want-Lists Updated 2/18/18
With the new automatic want list feature on my site there is no longer a need for me to “check” out what you want. When you are registered customer and enter a want list the website will show you the books that I have in stock and store the books that you are looking for. Want lists are automatically run every 24 hours against my existing inventory and you are notified by email of the books in your want list that were just listed for sale on the website. In addition to your personal want list you have the option of seeing all of the new inventory that comes in. This is also run every 24 hours. 2/18/18 – It has come to my attention that a lot of my existing customers were not getting my new arrival emails. Also new customers were not automatically setup with the default of getting my new arrivals. Starting 2/18/18 if you have a valid email address in my database you will start getting new arrival emails. If you do not want to get these emails you can login in, edit your profile and opt out of getting them. The check box right below your Home Phone, Work Phone states “I do not wish to receive new arrivals and other email notifications”. Simply check the box, save the changes and you will no longer receive the new arrival emails.
Book Finder/Wish List Feature
In addition to the automatic want list feature immediately showing you the books I currently have in inventory we just added a traditional Book finder feature. Search by Title, Grade, Publisher, Pedigree or even by price range. What’s even better about this book finder feature is that in addition to finding the books you want you can also generate a wish list to send your friends and family as gift ideas! The book finder feature can also produce a continuous list of all titles in the grade you are looking for. For example, I want to see all the CGC NM 9.4’s on the site. Select Third Party Grading CGC, Grade Minimum NM, Maximum NM.
Many customers ask if I’m on eBay. Yes I am, I have an eBay store that contains a few of my more expensive books. You will save more money bidding in my site versus buying the book from my eBay store. Everything in the eBay store is in my site.